The Nordic Africa Institute published a series of books on the liberation struggle in Southern Africa and the Nordic countries as a result of the research project 'National Liberation in Southern Africa: The Role of the Nordic Countries', coordinated by Tor Sellström.
A total of six volumes were produced. One of the volumes contains interviews with numerous Southern African and Swedish leaders; the others focus on Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark respectively.
While the series on National Liberation and the Nordic Countries, give a unique testimony of the Nordic support, its main focus is on the official support. Therefore, the grass-root movement in Sweden started its own project, the History Project, in order to capture the depth of civil society. Seven books were published in total.
Other publications on the liberation struggle in Southern Africa and the Nordic involvement can also be found below. All books are available for download as pdf files.
Books available for download
Liberation in Southern Africa: The Role of the Nordic Countries
Links open in new window
- Denmark and National Liberation in Southern Africa. A flexible response.
Christopher Munthe Morgenstierne
- Finland and National Liberation in Southern Africa.
Iina Soiri & Pekka Peltola
- Norway and National Liberation in Southern Africa.
Tore Linné Eriksen (Ed.)
- Sweden and National Liberation in Southern Africa. Vol. 1.
- Sweden and National Liberation in Southern Africa. Vol. 2.
- Liberation in Southern Africa - Regional and Swedish Voices.
Tor Sellström (Ed.)
- A Suécia e as lutas de libertação nacional em Angola, Moçambique e Guiné-Bissau.
Books published within the History project
- "Gör ni då inte åtskillnad?" Rune Forsbeck.
- Den stillsamma vreden. Anja Björk.
- När södra Afrikas frihet var vår. Mai Palmberg (Red.)
- On the Road towards Liberation. Bernt Jonsson.
- Under ISAKs paraply. Karl-Gunnar Norén.
- Uppdrag Solidaritet. Birgitta Silén.
- As Angolanas. Birgitta Lagerström
- Southern Africa. Vol. 1 - Programme of action and conference proceedings.
Olav Stokke and Carl Gösta Widstrand (Eds.)
- Documenting Liberation Struggles in Southern Africa: Select papers from the Nordic Africa Documentation Project workshop 26–27 November 2009, Pretoria, South Africa