How to start borrowing and how to manage your loans, and what the library card means in terms of access.
Apply for a library card
You need to be 16 years or older.
The library card
Why you need a card
You need to register with us (= have a library card) in order to:
- Borrow books and other materials (physical items) from us.
- Reserve materials currently checked out.
- Renew loans.
You don't need a card to:
- Use our search tool AfricaLit Plus (although you receive more results when logged in).
- Make use of our free resources available through our web pages.
- Apply and get remote access to some of our subscribed databases.
The card does not provide access from outside of NAI premises to:
- Our subscribed e-journals.
- Our subscribed databases. We have a separate solution for some of these.
If you already have an Uppsala University Library card
The NAI library has its own library card, but for Uppsala University Library users we offer the possibility instead to register with their card. You however still need to fill out the application form (link above).
Returning your loans
Outside our opening hours you can return loans in our book drop around the corner from the main entrance - on the wall facing the parking lot.
Those living outside Uppsala can borrow materials from us through interlibrary loans – via their local library.