Viola Nilah Nyakato
Senior Researcher, African Scholar Programme
Viola Nilah Nyakato is a sociologist, senior lecturer and gender expert, with a speciality in public health.
- Ph.D. in Development Studies, with a specialty in sociology and public health
- Master of Public Health (MPH), Lund University, Sweden, April 2006.
- Bachelor of Arts - Honors (Sociology and Religious Studies), Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda,April 2001
- Senior Lecturer at Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST), Uganda.
- Founding Dean for the Faculty of Interdisciplinary Studies, position held from 2013 to 2019.
Field of research:
Viola has engaged in a number of research and development programming activities that delve into underlying gender barriers to equity, particularly in the agency for decision-making, women’s land rights, gender mainstreaming, and couple relations.
Her program of research is focused on maternal and adolescent health and development with an aim to improve access to education, health care, and economic development opportunities for women.