Actions to prevent pregnant girls from school dropout
Time: 19 Januari 2023, 14.00 – 15.30 (CET).
Place: Zoom Webinar
A recent study conducted in South-Western Uganda, identifies five main barriers preventing school-age mothers to re-enter school after pregnancy; negative self-perception, childcare burdens, community and family tensions, tense school environment, and ineffective policies.
In this webinar, we discuss actions to prevent pregnant girls from dropping out of school and present research-based policy recommendations on what policy makers at all levels and in all sectors should do to tackle the barriers to school re-entry.
Read the Policy Note that the webinar is based on.
Watch the recorded webinar here:
In the panel:
- Honorable Sarah Nyirabashitsi Mateke, The Minister of State for Youth and Children Affairs, Ministry of Gender Labour and Social Development.
- Angella Nakafero, Commissioner Gender and Women Affairs Ministry of Gender Labour and Social Development, Uganda
- Ms. Susan Opok Tumusiime, Executive Director Forum for African Women Educationists (FAWE) Uganda Chapter
- Sheikh Muhammad Ali Waiswa, Uganda Muslim Supreme Council, 2nd Deputy Mufti of Uganda and Member of the Inter-Religious Council of Uganda Board of Directors
- Viola Nilah Nyakato, Senior Researcher at the Nordic Africa Institute (NAI)