With the current Ebola outbreak in West Africa and the seminar NAI arranges August 19, 2014, the institute's library staff has put together a web dossier with links to information resources.
Browse selected Google Scholar lists of publications on the subject. Most publications are accessible through your campus:
At NAI premises you have access to most texts mentioned below. Please check the availability at your campus in case you are at another location.
Adalja Amesh A. "Ebola in West Africa: A Familiar Pattern?“ Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science. July/August 2014, 12(4): 161-162.
Jones, Jared. "Ebola, Emerging: The Limitations of Culturalist Discourses in Epidemiology." Journal of Global Health 1 (2011): 1-6.
Leroy, E. M., J-P. Gonzalez, and S. Baize. "Ebola and Marburg haemorrhagic fever viruses: major scientific advances, but a relatively minor public health threat for Africa." Clinical Microbiology and Infection 17.7 (2011): 964-976.
Sanders J, Fuhrer G, Johnson M, Riddle M. The epidemiological transition: the current status of infectious diseases in the developed world versus the developing world. Sci Prog. 2008;91:1–37.
Zuckerman, M. K., Harper, K. N., Barrett, R., & Armelagos, G. J. The evolution of disease: anthropological perspectives on epidemiologic transitions. Global health action, 7 (2014).
Selection of full text NAI publications, some of them freely available via the DiVA digital archive.
Benton, A. (2014). Ebola exhausts health systems: more resources are needed. Nordiska Afrikainstitutet. NAI Policy Notes, ISSN 1654-6695 ; 2014/3.
General health issues
Myhre, K. C. (2009). Disease and disruption: Chagga witchcraft and relational fragility (1ed.). In: Haram, Liv & Bawa Yamba, C. (Ed.), Dealing with uncertainty in contemporary African lives (pp. 118-140). Uppsala: Nordiska Afrikainstitutet.
Sjögren, A. (2013). Between Militarism and Technocratic Governance: State Formation in Contemporary Uganda. Kampala: Fountain Publishers in cooperation with Nordiska Afrikainstitutet.
Li, A. (2011). Chinese medical cooperation in Africa: With special emphasis on the medical teams and anti-malaria campaign. Uppsala: Nordiska Afrikainstitutet ; Peking University, School of International Studies.
- African Studies Centre, Leiden. Information portal on the Ebola outbreak (comprehensive and regularly updated)
- Ebola Pocket Library, WiderNet. Collection covering all aspects of the Ebola crisis, including symptoms and treatment.
- Ecowas. Ecowas Health Awareness website
- WHO. World Health Organizations website with information on Ebola
Official material from Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone
- Guinea. Search string into Guinean governmental sites and information about Ebola. [In French]:
- Liberia. Executive Mansion - Government of the Republic of Liberia. Statements and press releases and other material
- Sierra Leone. The Republic of Sierra Leone - State House Online. Statements and press releases and other material
- Nigeria. Search string into Nigerian governmental sites and information about Ebola.
Mats Utas's blog
- Stereotyping Africa: an appeal for a normal people perspective, by Robert J. Pijpers, 2014-12-04
- Fighting the War with the Ebola Drone, by Kristin B. Sandvik, 2014-12-02
NAI library resources
At the time of writing, there is not a multitude of titles on ebola within the NAI library holdings. We do however have plenty of titles on related issues of high relevance. Try for instance searching with keywords such as:
- Disease control, Epidemics, Funerals, Health personnel, Health policy, Health programmes, Health system, Infectious diseases, Medical care, Traditional medicine