Internship Announcement, Africa and the UN Security Council project, autumn term of 2021
The Nordic Africa Institute welcome applications for internship during 30 August 2021 – 16 January 2021 (weeks 35–02, total of 20 weeks).
The project of the Nordic Africa Institute, Africa & the UN Security Council: Navigating the Inequality in Multilateral Conflict Prevention and Resolution, is looking for a research intern for the autumn term of 2021. The project is managed by Angela Muvumba Sellström, Senior Researcher, Conflict and Security.
Objective of the internship
Research interns at NAI learn from an interdisciplinary environment. The internship will focus on building skills in theoretically-driven empirical research in African studies, international relations and peace and conflict studies. The intern will also gain exposure to policy and practice communities at the United Nations (UN), the Nordic countries and Africa.
Under the direction of the project leader, the intern shall be part of a research team studying the repertoire and outcomes of the UN Security Council, its member states, the multilateral dynamics of UN-African Union (AU) cooperation and UN responsiveness to conflict situations in Africa.
- Collect and code information on the UN Security Council’s repertoire and the behavior of its member states, based on UN, public and research participant source material.
- Draft short case studies on UN peacekeeping and political missions and selected conflict situations in Africa.
Qualifications and required skills
- Ongoing studies at Master’s Candidate level or similar.
- Excellent proficiency in English (reading, writing).
- Attention to detail.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office package (and data collection in Excel) and Internet.
The intern must have an official organisation to finance the internship, typically a university.
The deadline for application is 17 May 2021.
How to apply
Applications are only accepted through our online-application. Please fill out all required fields.